Skip to main content

Berio Public Library

The Berio Library is the Central Public Library in Genoa, the heart of the libraries network constituted by 16 public libraries. The history of our Library dates back to the middle of the 18th century, when the abbot Carlo Giuseppe Vespasiano Berio (1713-1794) opened his private library to the public.

In the 19th century the volumes of the abbot’s private library were donated to the City of Genoa; this marked the opening of the first public library of the City (1824). For many years, the Berio Library had its centre in the De Ferrari Square, facing the Palazzo Ducale, and next to the Carlo Felice Opera Theatre.

In 1998 it moved to a brand new site which once hosted the Episcopal Seminary (total surface 5,900 sqm), developing into a modern electronic, networking library.

Now it offers more than 380 reading seats and it owns more than 350,000 volumes (75,000 open access volumes), including illuminated manuscripts, rare editions, ancient bookbindings, specialized collections, magazines and newspapers.

The library is organised into two Departments: the Modern Department, which offers the readers the most recent publications  covering a great range of subjects and the Rare Books, Manuscripts and Specialized Collections Department, which owns and preserves rare editions and old manuscripts together with a rich collection about Ligurian history and culture, 5,000 books about Christopher Columbus and the Discovery of America and rare editions of Dante's Divine Comedy.

The Periodical section includes magazines and newspapers also on microfilms.  The Library has published for many years the review "La Berio" containing articles focused on local history and book history. It is an important centre of culture for the town offering a wide range of services including educational and promotional activities, conferences and exhibitions.
DESCRIPTION

The Berio Library is the Central Public Library in Genoa, the heart of the libraries network constituted by 16 public libraries. The history of our Library dates back to the middle of the 18th century, when the abbot Carlo Giuseppe Vespasiano Berio (1713-1794) opened his private library to the public.

In the 19th century the volumes of the abbot’s private library were donated to the City of Genoa; this marked the opening of the first public library of the City (1824). For many years, the Berio Library had its centre in the De Ferrari Square, facing the Palazzo Ducale, and next to the Carlo Felice Opera Theatre.

In 1998 it moved to a brand new site which once hosted the Episcopal Seminary (total surface 5,900 sqm), developing into a modern electronic, networking library.

Now it offers more than 380 reading seats and it owns more than 350,000 volumes (75,000 open access volumes), including illuminated manuscripts, rare editions, ancient bookbindings, specialized collections, magazines and newspapers.

The library is organised into two Departments: the Modern Department, which offers the readers the most recent publications  covering a great range of subjects and the Rare Books, Manuscripts and Specialized Collections Department, which owns and preserves rare editions and old manuscripts together with a rich collection about Ligurian history and culture, 5,000 books about Christopher Columbus and the Discovery of America and rare editions of Dante's Divine Comedy.

The Periodical section includes magazines and newspapers also on microfilms.  The Library has published for many years the review "La Berio" containing articles focused on local history and book history. It is an important centre of culture for the town offering a wide range of services including educational and promotional activities, conferences and exhibitions.

ACTIVITY

Created on
April 25
2017

Total Views 27,756

DISCONTINUED VIEWS

Total Views 27,662

ITEMS

Total Items 311

TOP REGIONS (LAST 30 DAYS)

(data not available)